Monday, January 26, 2009

Metacognition shmognition

I produced a grade-level standards (CA DOE) checklist for each of my students. On the checklist each standard/substandard is printed along with a chart for each time we assess mastery of that standard. Students enter the results of each assessment in the chart to track strengths/opportunities for growth. This way, students can hold ME accountable for ensuring that they learn all they should in 8th grade English. Along with the checklist, we examined recent test scores and alternate assessments to chart our progress towards mastery. I got A LOT of groans and whining, but I hope that this will force/encourage students to become more aware of our objectives and moniter their own growth. I am struggling with helping students see the importance of the ritual, "Isn't this what progress reports are for?" but I'm not giving up! Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I seriously laughed aloud when I read this. I get the same groans (well, cloaked in well-thought out reasoning that doesn't hold any weight) from my adults when I want them to explicitly chart their own progress. However, I can say that I have heard less and less dissatisfaction, and I've read more and more good self-assessment. I think the trick, like with so much, is consistency. By reinforcing the need to take time to evaluate their own progress you are showing your students what a valuable and necessary skill self-evaluation is. Can you for a moment imagine if somehow we as educators managed to teach the skill of self-assessment to a significant percentage of our populace?! It would be a different world. Keep at it is my advice, if for no other reason so that when I get your former students in professional school they whine less from the start. ; )

    ReplyDelete