Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Constitutes an "Adult"?

Now, granted those who know me well may think by the title of this post that I am kidding, but truly I pose this as a real question for education. I deeply appreciate the comments to previous posts around that point in particular, as it is lovely to engage around a great question.

I have to preface my remarks with the disclaimer that I am about to share my opinion - gasp! I will not have references, and can't do much name-dropping (well, I'll try a little on this one), but I do have a strong personal sense of this idea of when is a learner a "child" and when is a learner an "adult".

To begin, I think that perhaps the discussion is better served by substituting the term "adult" with "independent learner". I personally believe that the academics that began struggling with the differences in learning approaches between children and adults got a bit too stuck on the Latin roots when they went with "andra" to counter "peda" as a means of differentiating their ideas. To me the core idea lies not in the age of the learner but in the approach the learner takes to their learning. I also believe that some learners reach levels of independence far before their peers, just as some lag far behind. In short, once again, individual differences in learners is the key.

To follow this idea I would propose that independent learning does not occur all at once, like a switch. I think that learners phase in and out of this orientation around subject matter, or even mood, over time until they hopefully, arrive at independence, at which point the tenets of andragogy are more appropriate guides than those of pedagogy. As I mentioned in a reply to a comment to an earlier post, I believe that for some, this transition occurs in middle school, and sadly, for some it hasn't yet occurred and they are somehow in professional school!

I believe my strongest connection to these ideas is that at some point my job as a "teacher" is to give that job to the "student". I don't follow my learners throughout their professional lives, yet they must continue to learn. How can I expect them to be successful if at somewhere along the journey they were not scaffolded and guided into evaluating and assessing their own learning needs and strategies? Yet, sadly, I see that there is very little obvious work in the direction of taking explicit steps to that end. Yes, in every professional program there is the salute to "critical thinking" and "life-long learning", but I don't always see the HOW that will accomplish those goals. I believe the how lies primarily in the informal curriculum. While that has worked, obviously, as we have compete professionals all around us, I would like to see this important aspect of learning moved to a more obvious place in the formal curriculum.

Ideally, in my view, aspects of the tenets of "adult" learning would be introduced very early, so as to ease the transition from depending on an expert to becoming one's own expert. I'd love to hear what Karen has to say on this, being in the middle school trenches as she is. I believe that she could confirm that some of her students are capable of evaluation and planning at the level andragogy expects. Regardless, I would believe there would be value in bringing these concepts to the learner as early as is feasible.

I'll admit that perhaps that last bit is highly selfish, as I will confirm that there are times when I am sick to death of prying the spoon from the lips of my "adult learners", especially when they scream and cry when I attempt to give them their own control. I can't blame the students though. They have been conditioned to need my approval to confirm that they have learned. They have been taught over and over to ask what is on the test as a means of determining what I think is important. I have to practice patience as I hope to work towards putting more weight on the students' own beliefs of importance, which if I've done my job right, will have direct relevance to their current and future learning needs.

So, not entirely sure if I've answered what is an adult, or where should andragogy appear in education. But I am rather sure I've given a clearer picture on my own thoughts on the topics. What are yours???

11 comments:

  1. To be honest? I find the whole idea of giving a special name to adult learners a bit artificial. And limiting. As in, putting them into little boxes, its as if we are judging them based upon their age vs their abilities. And if there is one thing that older learners do not need, its more reasons to think they are incapable of learning.

    Let me explain:

    I am a language teacher. My profession has weathered years of being told that adults cannot learn languages. Hogwash. Adults do not learn in the same way as children do, but that does not mean that they cannot learn as much as a child can...if not more.

    I cannot tell you how many older learners I have met who are just convinced that they cannot learn a language because that is what society/research/ scuttlebutt has told them. They may not learn the way a child can, indeed they learn differently, but they also learn with an impatience and an urgency and a desire to apply these skills to the real world that blows the doors off the youngin's.

    So I worry that by naming and embracing a separate pedagogy for adults, we are actually adding to our non child learners' anxiety that they might be different and therefore problematic. When in fact there are many similarities, areas of convergence, between older students and younger ones than we think.

    Now the place where they do differ is the way in which they can be circumspect and be able to engage in the process of evaluating their own learning. Younger learners, I think, get this better than older ones, simply because the teacher-centric model of teaching and learning has been so hard wired into older students for soooooo long that its is really truly hard to break that pattern.

    =And if you are the only one in a place of learning that is teaching or assessing this way..yikes...its even harder=

    Have you ever seen Mat Groening's book "School is Hell"? there is a wonderful/painful cartoon in there about Graduate School which says all grad school is about is NOT having a single original thought but rather merely parroting the prof's words back at him...that was MY graduate school experience, how 'bout you???... :-)

    My point being: there is a whole lot of UNLEARNING that we have to do before we can get our students to trust their abilities to 1) posit achievable outcomes for themselves within a course and then 2) evaluate how close they came to meeting those outcomes.

    It's so simple, and yet so incredibly hard. *Sigh*

    So, again, what assessment tools HAVE worked for you? And why do you suppose that might be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting. You see the terminology as limiting, and I see it as explanatory. For me, it serves to highlight the important process differences. I agree that adults can form learning "complexes" if you will (I thought I was too stupid to go to school until I was 26!) but I view underlying the means by which an adult can conduct their own process as freeing. By understanding how they might approach the situation from a different angle perhaps there is more of a sense of belonging or control than of victimization.

    You are correct in that it is a challenge to be "that" professor who does things differently, but honestly, I don't mind it. I'm used to being viewed as different, and it doesn't trouble me that some of my students don't understand what I'm trying to do. I think they will, just maybe not when they are standing in front of me.

    I also did neglect to address the assessments, which I will rectify!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gwen,
    I'm Deb Peterson, the guide to continuing education at About.com, part of The New York Times Company. My site is dedicated to non-traditional students, adults returning to school for any reason.

    I found your blog today fascinating, and blogged about you today on my page: http://adulted.about.com/

    I really like the idea of thinking of andragogy as a developmental point rather than an age. Thanks for giving me something great to think about today!

    Deb

    Deb Peterson
    Guide to Continuing Education
    About.com
    http://adulted.about.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Deb. Thank you so much. It is very nice to engage in this discussion with others. I have often felt like a castaway here in my office thinking these things amid the standard operating procedures of the educational machine I work within. It's very exciting to see that there are many of us grappling with these ideas and endeavoring to improve the process of education. I look forward to an ongoing conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    This is a fascinating topic, and one that I have been "preaching" for years. I believe there is a distinction between adult and child learners. However, the distinction between adult and child is often artificial or poorly defined.
    Instead of looking at "actual age" or chronological age of the learner, we should examine the "effective age" of the learner. How old does the learner act? What is their emotional level?
    According to this outlook, a learner might be 5, but act like a more mature learner than someone who is 10.
    The transition from child to adult is gradual, and each individual makes the journey on a different emotional (affective and cognitive) timetable.
    Much like we have Blooms Taxonomy for the cognitive and affective domains, we should develop a taxonomy (or diagram) for the transition from child to adult. Knowles has a good start, but the scale should be measured effectively, vis a vis chronologically.
    Thanks for starting this great post. I would be happy to work with you on this project.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments, Sam. I am in complete agreement. I find it important to denote that not all learners are oriented in the same fashion, and it does tend to fall "child" vs "adult", but a more exact definition may well prove useful. Where do we begin??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gwen,
    I would recommend we start up a Ning site and invite interested parties. Or perhaps leave the site open, to bring in anyone who'd like to contribute?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. My addie is sam@samthetutor.com, if we want to start a Ning site. Or I can start it, if I get your e-mail so I can invite you. :-)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I created a Ning webpage at: http://pedagogyandragogygradient.ning.com/

    Please stop by, join, and let's continue our discussion there, eh? :-)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

  10. Batman leather jacket taken from the movie “The Dark Knight” worn by Christain Bale as batman in the movie available here,buy
    this superb quality Leather Jacket with worldwide shipping

    Batman Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  11. bomber leather jackets

    celebrities fashion jackets with great quality and designed are avilable here, you can buy these jackets on discounted prices
    with world wide shipping so what is better than that!

    ReplyDelete